Saturday, May 19, 2007

Day 2 In Athens

I love Greece!!!!!

I mean I love Italy too, but Greece is so different. Maybe because it's much busier, and people speak english...not quite sure, but I know I will be back here and I haven't even gone on the cruise yet.

This morning I set a wake up call with reception at 6:30. I hung up the phone then went back to sleep. So reception calls me 30 min later and says you didn't get up, so I'm calling again. I have no idea how he knew that I didn't get up. Maybe because there was no electricity or water going. Anyhow I got up 30 min late.....no drama I'm on holiday(I'm used to saying that instead of vacation now) I think we(Americans) are the only ones that actaully call it a vacation, everyone else calls it a holiday. Anyhow, last night I planned my day and got out my WONDERFUL map of athens and started planning. So this morning I ended up walking to the Acropolis which is about a 15min walk most of which was uphill. The Plaka dist. where I'm staying is pretty much at the bottom of the acropolis. So I ended up going in this cool back entrace where no one else was. At first I was like where am I, but I saw a ton more stuff that the people that went in the main entrance. So I was basically on the east and south side of the acropolis at that point. Then I got to the top of the acropolis with the parthenon which was awesome (Gayle...I took tons of pics of the columns) I took a lot of pics and left which was good because it started getting super busy with tours and stuff. I then walked to the Temple of Olympian Zeus which was cool, again a ton of pics of columns, thats all that is still there. Then I looked east up to the mountain and it was black clouds and these huge white clouds above them, not good. Last night we had a pretty bad storm here with thunder and the power kept going out. Good thing I took 2 advilPMs cause I kinda slept through it. Anyhow I also wanted to go to the stadium but decided not to. I hopped on the metro to come back towards the hotel area. On the way back from the metro station to my hotel I found a cool bakery, and ended up seeing Twila who also did the Italy tour with me and she is also doing the cruise. So I got a turkey sandwhich and this round chese thing...forgot the name. Then I saw the baklava, so I got a piece for dessert. Just as we got back to the hotel it started raining, so it was good timing. I ate lunch and took a little nap. Around 3 I walked back to the main metro station Syndagmatos and got off at this cute neighborhhod Monastiraki and in just a minute I'm going to walk up to the outdoor meat and seafood maket. Apperently it's a must see while in Athens. Too bad I don't have a BBQ with me I could have bought a nice piece of fish or a steak and cook it up...I'm craving american food. Then I'm going to walk around for a little while and see what else is going on.

My nose has been stuffy the past couple days so I have been trying to take it easy a little bit. I don't want to get sick next week or after that because I do have to go back to work unfortunatly. (Hi work folks)

Ok I'm off to the market I go...

2 comments:

Vicki said...

Gina,
It sounds like you are having a fantastic time. Please don't think about work.Enjoy every minute. I can't wait to see your photos. Take care continue to have a great time.
Vicki

Elizabeth said...

Hi Gina,
I'm here with your mom, Aunt Lynn, Uncle Matt, and tons of other relatives. We miss you and can't wait to see your pictures. We all love you.
Elizabeth