Friday, May 18, 2007

Here In Athens

Sooo I just lost all my blog...Arhhhh I'll start over.

So yesterday was fun. I took the metro into the city and walked around a bit. I had the best pizza yet. I really like water and here they don't give you tap water, when you ask for water they bring your a glass bottle and you have to pay between 2-6E for it. But...I learned how to ask for tap water...you say Acqua Del Rubinetto. Water from the tap. Pretty cool huh? Too bad I learned that a little too late. Ok back on topic. So I wanted to do some souvenir shopping, but all they really had was these ugly t-shirt that say Italia on it, and I know no one would wear it. Anyhow after that I went back to the Trevi Fountain and took yes more pictures then went to this gelati place that our tour manager Natalie recommended...and boy was it good. After that I did a little bit more shopping then it was back to the hotel to get ready for our farewell dinner. We left the hotel around 7ish and Pino our driver took us to the restaurant. The food was ok, but the wine was so bad no one drank it. It tasted like sparkling grape juice with a sour after taste...it was nasty. After dinner we got back to the hotel and sat around and talked for a little bit. I ended up going to bed around 12 because I had a 5am wake up call. The shuttle picked 6 of us (the ones that had early flights) at 6 and we got dropped off at the airport. I knew I had to go to the domestic terminal but he dropped me off at the international one(no tip for him) so I made my way back to terminal one. Here is the best story.....I got in the "domestic check-in" line and this guy comes up to me and asks me where I'm going and I said Athens he was like you have to go over two partitions and check in there...so I went over there and waited in line at the "domestic check-in" counter..this time the lady said I was in the wrong place. I was like I have been waiting here and some guy told me that I have to come here to check in...she was like nooo this isn't the place, you have to go over there(she pointed across the way to the next Alitalia check in counter.) So I went over there and got this guy....He checked me in but my luggage was overweight by 10klg. He gave me 5kg's for free....how nice. So he told me that my boarding pass has been printed but I need to go to the desk two rows back and pay, then come back and bring him my luggage then he would give me my boarding pass and take my luggage. Soooo I go over 2 rows, the lady says nooo this isn't the place to pay for that so you have to go back that way(pointed to where I just was) I finally found this really nice lady to help me, and I had to pay 60E for my bag. Yikes!!!! After that was all figured out I went to the gate and waited for the plane then landed here about 12:15pm. I was proud of myself because I took public transportation all the way here. I followed the signs that said trains and went. So I was the next one in line at the metro ticket counter and this guy comes running up and goes to the next ticket agent and get a ticket. I was like "I wasn't in line or anything." So he got his ticket then I got mine and went to wait. I had no idea what time the next train left. So I was waiting there for the train that that guy that cut in front of me comes up and apologizes because he was in a hurry. Then he tells me that he just missed the train (i see it driving away) In my head I was like HA HA that sucks for you, but I didn't say anything. Well like 5 min later another metro train comes up and we wait a bit then leave. I got the the Syndagmatos metro station then had no clue where to go. I just followed everyone else up the esclators...Then to this one street then got out my handy map of the city and the hotel is listed on the map, so it only took me 10 min to walk here, not bad. So to get from the airport to this hotel only costs me 4E. There is a dry cleaning place next door so I just took some of my things there to get cleanded, cause I haven't done any wash, and I need some clean clothes for the next week. I'm going to wait for a few of my other tour mates who did the Italy trip and are also doing the cruise, and we will probably grab some dinner or something. I also have to plan my day tomorrow. Ok well that was my day today.....exciting huh?

Until tomorrow....